Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Basic Refrigeration
Create Your New Future
South Texas Vocational Technical Institute’s Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Basic Refrigeration program prepares you to pursue a successful career in commercial and residential HVAC maintenance. This program teaches you the skills to be a successful repair professional and member of the team. Our Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration program emphasizes hands-on learning and worksite safety.
*STVT does not guarantee third-party certifications. Certification requirements for taking and passing certification examinations are not controlled by STVT but by outside agencies and are subject to change by the agencies without notice to STVT. Therefore, STVT cannot guarantee that graduates will be eligible to take certification examinations, regardless of their eligibility status upon enrollment.
Along with classroom education, students at STVT will get the opportunity to participate in hands-on training to strengthen their skills.
- Design, construction and operation of various air-conditioning unit applications
- Installation of split and unitary systems
- Application of psychrometric and air properties
- Ladder diagram completion
- Soft copper tubing connection preparation
- Basic electrical understanding
- Air conditioning system design
- Refrigerant reclamation and recycling
- Technician responsibilities
- Ventilation duct design and installation
- Air flow characteristics
- Heat gain/loss calculations
- Refrigeration piping repair
- Electrical circuit troubleshooting and controls
- HVAC/R motor control circuit operation
- Maintenance and repair of gas, natural draft, and standing pilot systems
- Repair of gas furnaces and force draft units
- Maintenance of heating solid circuitry/flame controls
- Heat pump theory and repair
- Customer service
Ready To Enroll?
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Basic Refrigeration Outlook
*STVT cannot guarantee employment. These are national statistics, and the figures in your area may be different.
**The lowest 10 percent earned less than $30,610, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $77,920.
Median Annual Wage:
What our Graduates are saying
I was helped in so many ways. You know, I couldn’t be more grateful and blessed, you know, to have the staff here at STVT – the students that I was with and my instructors. It couldn’t have been any better.
I would like to say to the staff at STVT, thank you so much for all your help. I appreciate it so much. You have no idea what an inspiration and motivation y’all have made on my life and my daughter’s life as well.
I heard about STVT with commercials when I was just sitting down one night. I heard a commercial about it – saw that they offered the dental assisting program – saw that it was just a few months instead of, you know, years and that’s something that really did interest me.